Over 70 years ago, a group of Orthodox Christians united to form an Orthodox Church, here in Phoenix, Arizona.
The original incorporation took place on June 23, 1949 by the following: H. Fattaleh, George Ghiz, N.A. Romley, David Saba, James Saliba, N.E. Schaded, Fred Shaheen, and George F. Tibshraeny. After many meetings and much correspondence with Bishop SAMUEL David, the decision was made to begin at the 45th Street and Indian School site in Phoenix and Father Sweity helped local men collect funds to buy 5 acres. People from all over Arizona, who had Orthodox backgrounds, were contracted.
Before the hall was built, church services were held in homes, the Greek Orthodox Hall on Virginia, and the Episcopal Church on Roosevelt in Phoenix. The first dedication of the Indian School site Church was on October 8, 1950. A few years later, which was around 1952, a hall was added and the original building was converted to a church. A bell tower was later added to the hall to give it a more church-like appearance. A church school building was desperately needed because the hall was serving as a Sunday School with partitions for classrooms. In 1964, the parish was elated to dedicate the new Church School building and office.
In October of 1980, St. George Parish purchased land on Gold Dust Avenue, but before dawn on Christmas morning 1980, St. George Church suffered a devastating electrical fire destroying the entire church and most of its contents. Services were moved to the church hall. In May of 1981, the Indian School property was sold and in August of 1982, ground was broken on Gold Dust Avenue for the present Fellowship Hall and school building. This facility was completed and the first church services were held in April 1983.
In December of 1984, a ceremonial groundbreaking service was held at the present site. This beautiful new edifice was dedicated on December 7, 1986 and Consecrated on November 1, 1987.
Because of their dedication, hard work, and love for God and each other, our founders were able to establish a strong, viable church. With that on-going dedication, love, and perseverance as a foundation, the parish is carrying on the challenge.